- Training Time: 2 Days, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Inclusion: Participants Manual and Certificate of Completion
Welcome to the Negotiation Skills workshop. Although people often think of boardrooms, suits, and million dollar deals when they hear the word “negotiation,” the truth is that we negotiate all the time. For example, have you ever:
- Decided where to eat with a group of friends?
- Decided on chore assignments with your family?
- Asked your boss for a raise?
These are all situations that involve negotiating! This workshop will give participants an understanding of the phases of negotiation, tools to use during a negotiation, and ways to build win-win solutions for all those involved.
- Understand the basic types of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiating
- Understand and apply basic negotiating concepts: WATNA, BATNA, WAP, and ZOPA
- Lay the groundwork for negotiation
- Identify what information to share and what to keep to yourself
- Understand basic bargaining techniques
- Apply strategies for identifying mutual gain
- Understand how to reach consensus and set the terms of agreement
- Deal with personal attacks and other difficult issues
- Use the negotiating process to solve everyday problems
- Negotiate on behalf of someone else
- Express a feeling or position using I-messages
- Negotiation and solution-building.
- Reflect on one’s hot buttons and personal anger dynamics.
- Learn and practice de-escalation techniques.
- Gain an integrated view of anger management and how it can be best practiced.
Negotiation Skills – Module 1
- Introduction to Negotiation Skills
- Workshop Objectives
Negotiation Skills – Module 2
- Types of Negotiations
- The Three Phases
- Skills for Successful Negotiating
Negotiation Skills – Module 3
- Establishing Your WATNA and BATNA
- Identifying Your WAP
- Identifying Your ZOPA
- Personal Preparation
Negotiation Skills – Module 4
Laying the Groundwork
- Setting the Time and Place
- Establishing Common Ground
- Creating a Negotiation Framework
- The Negotiation Process
Negotiation Skills – Module 5
Phase 1-Exchanging Information
- Getting Off on the Right Foot
- What to Share
- What to Keep to Yourself
Negotiation Skills – Module 6
- What to Expect
- Techniques To Try
- How to Break an Impasse
Negotiation Skills – Module 7
About Mutual Gain
- Three Ways to See Your Options
- About Mutual Gain
- Creating a Mutual Gain Solution
- What Do I Want? What Do They Want?
- What Do We Want?
Negotiation Skills – Module 8
Phase 3 – Closing
- Reaching Consensus
- Building an Agreement
- Setting the Terms of the Agreement
Negotiation Skills – Module 9
Dealing with Difficult Issues
- Being Prepared for Environmental Tactics
- Dealing with Personal Attacks
- Controlling Your Emotions
- Deciding When It’s Time to Walk Away
Negotiation Skills – Module 10
Negotiating Outside the Boardroom
- Adopting the Process for Smaller Negotiations
- Negotiating via Email
Negotiation Skills – Module 11
Negotiating on Behalf of Someone Else
- Choosing the Negotiating Team
- Covering All the Bases
- Dealing with Tough Questions
Negotiation Skills – Module 12
Wrapping it up
- Words from the Wise
You Can Expect...
- To understand the two basic types of negotiation which require different approaches
- To understand and identify the phases of negotiation, to understand what phase you are in
- To know and assess yourself on the skills needed for successful negotiating
You Need This If...
- You want to be ready and prepared to negotiate with a clear idea of Worst Alternative and Best Alternative and WAP (Walk Away Price) and ZOPA (Zone of Possible Agreement)
- You want to prepare yourself for a range of non-expected conditions that come about in the negotiations
- You need to understand the psychology and facts behind negotiations and use it for your advantage
This Is About...
- Being prepared for negotiation, which is a challenging task, requiring preparation
- Being clear on what you hope to get out of the negotiation, what you will settle for and what you consider unacceptable
- Finding the concessions and getting the best deal for yourself by being ready with the strongest bargaining position at the right time